14.4.08

Becks on Slovenia

Rebeka Dremelj - Vrag naj vzame 4/5

There is something about Slovenia and its Eurovision entries. They make me go weak almost every time, and I keep crossing my fingers until they hurt, wishing them the best of luck (the Slovenians, not the fingers).

I have to admit not to being charmed unconscious on a first listening by this year's entry. Rebeka is a fine piece of machinery and she sells the song well, but it took a few listenings before I could really nail the melody line down properly.

Now I did, and I love it. According to me, this is one of the best pop song in the running this year. But still - if I didn't understand it on the first listening, how can I expect anyone else to? It seems the grandness of this composition eludes most people at first, and that is not a good way to go if you want to win the ESC.

In the final?
No. The Slovenians are almost as sure as the Flemings to fall through on the big night, and I expect this song to be 11th or 12th. And we will all ask ourselves for years to come how this could be possible.

No comments: