12.3.08

Sammarinese electronica

The second last country to reveal their choice for Belgrade is newcomer San Marino, and it must be said that what they lack in size, they make up for in courage. I must admit I feared the worst when some of the names that sent in songs for consideration were named. I wasn't too thrilled at the thought of some Swedish, Greek or Slovenian wannabe representing San Marino, where would the point in that be?

Ever since Sammarinese television announced their participation, I had hoped for a big Italian star to do the honours for them, to show the Italian record labels that Eurovision is an excellent vehicle for promotion that they can't afford to miss, but this final choice is not bad, and you will not hear me complaining.

The selected group is Miodio, a mix of pop and electronica with a touch of punk, like a synthesized version of last year's Andorran entry. The band name translates as something as uplifting as "I hate myself" (mi odio), but some people have read it out like Mio Dio instead. But that is wrong.

The selected entry has not been made public as yet, but I hope they have time to record something ressembling a preview clip before next week's meeting of the Heads of Delegation.

Welcome, San Marino, we like you a lot already.

No comments: